What's in the water? What are they smoking? I have no idea where I got the impression that the Madridians (I doubt that that is the correct way to describe "one from Madrid" but whatever) would be really unfriendly, serious and dark - particularly to a foreigner with barely recognisable Spanish (it's been a few years). Might have been from my time in Barcelona where I felt generally foreign, unwelcomed and unliked by the locals.
But no, the Madridians (it's got a ring to it, I hope it is a word) are not only friendly, chatty and eager to help - they also seem genuinely happy with themselves and life... all the time. I thought I would have to join an expat group (which of course I still want to) to have the remotest chance of speaking to another person, but so far all 'acquaintances' I have made so far are Spanish. Really nice Spanish people.
The gardeners in the park stop working for a chat and let David play with their garden tools. One gardener had an iPhone which he was taking pictures with while working I wanted to ask "What is going on, why are you so happy, did you have a really fun weekend or something?? You're a 'gardener' you should be miserable and have an LG phone!?" Even the police drive by slowly and pull faces at David to make him laugh like they don't have a care in the world.
So ok, the weather is brilliant, the food (even green peppers which I normally hate) tastes devine and the people are lovely... is this Europe's best kept secret? I think so.
I guess it reallly does help to speak some Spanish (just like in Italy or France), that coupled with the fact that the coast is far away is probably the reason more people haven't discovered this gem.
Once I get over how content they all are here I am going to try and be a sponge and have as much of it rub off on me as possible. I mean I consider myself quite laidback and mainly happy go lucky, but these guys have got it mastered. Respect.
No comments:
Post a Comment